Related Categories: San Francisco | Anti-War
splinter from the breakaway
by bedreddin
Saturday Mar 20th, 2004 10:06 PM
In pictures, the chronology of what happened to a splinter from the breakaway march on March 20, 2004 approx 4:45pm and later.
After the post-market st harassment, the police once again attempted to stop the march by blocking the street. There were too few of them at first, so they just impotently stood around while people walked right by next to them. This particular cop didn't seem up to doing anything on his own, and just stood there maintaining a dignified "respect my authoritaaa" attitude while people ignored him.
§people? where?
by bedreddin Saturday Mar 20th, 2004 10:06 PM
Next, I guess to intimidate us, cops on motorbikes rode right into the crowd.
§get out of here
by bedreddin Saturday Mar 20th, 2004 10:06 PM
Another attempt at encirclement happened near a small park at 5:00pm. I was near the head of the march; some of the people who were right there as the police were shutting off the sidewalk were chased (hit?) by the police there. One guy said something like \"we\'re on the sidewalk, what else do you want us to do?\" to which the cop replied with something like \"get out of here\"... there were a couple of ladies in the park there who didn\'t want me going in there, presumably afraid that the cops would attack them while chasing us. An older guy on a bike who was taking pictures told me had been pushed off his bike. I guess the fact that I was pointing the camera directly in his face as he came towards me with his baton saved me.
§encircled by the park
by bedreddin Saturday Mar 20th, 2004 10:06 PM
At this point the sidewalk (at least in the direction I was in) was completely blocked off and the breakaway march surrounded. As usual, just a handful of cops managed to intimidate and pen in the entire crowd until the real riot cops showed up.
§we'll take it from here
by bedreddin Saturday Mar 20th, 2004 10:06 PM
And boy, did they show up... at this point someone I talked to said something about 2 undercover cops jumping a fence and returning to the fold. Anyone have pictures of them?
§catch me if you can
by bedreddin Saturday Mar 20th, 2004 10:06 PM
I had to walk around a couple blocks to link up with the main breakaway, and shortly after I did so, the people I was with ended up getting seperated from the rest of the crowd. We ran through oncoming traffic down to market street, and were shadowed the entire way by riot cops. We were trying to head back to the Civic Center, and were afraid of being encircled, so we kept a pretty fast pace to stay ahead of the cops.
§those fast-moving rascals...
by bedreddin Saturday Mar 20th, 2004 10:06 PM
We waited for the cops (once we were in safe running distance to the Civic Center), and once they showed up they stood there looking despondent, and then left.
§what? leaving so soon?
by bedreddin Saturday Mar 20th, 2004 10:06 PM
The traffic on Market street was a mess at that point. The rest of the breakaway showed up at Civic Center shortly after.
Tribes NOT GovernmentsproudandinsolentSunday Mar 28th, 2004 1:03 AM