From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Related Categories: San FranciscoView other events for the week of 2/22/2004
|THE PROGRESSIVE LEFT MOVEMENT CONFERENCE|
|Date||Sunday February 22|
|Time||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Import this event into your personal calendar.|
|Between Valencia and Guerrero|
|Organizer/Author||Carlos Chris Berta John Alberto|
SAN FRANCISCO: ANNOUNCING THE FIRST CONFERENCE
FOR THE CITY'S NEW PROGRESSIVE LEFT MOVEMENT
Let's organize the left behind the Matt Gonzalez Campaign
Sunday, February 22, 2004
9 AM - Registration and Breakfast served on the premises 10 AM - 5 PM Conference proceedings
Women's Building- 3543 18th St.
Between Valencia and Guerrero
Don't let the energy and possibilities of the progressive left movement behind the Matt Gonzalez candidacy disappear.
Help organize a new Progressive Left and Independent Movement in San Francisco to participate in community struggles, in the unions, the antiwar movement and to train and select candidates for local Elections.
The conference will include discussions and workshops on organizing around slues affecting immigrants and people of color, trade union work and candidates and propositions for upcoming elections.
We will also discuss how to enhance and support the most prominent points of the Gonzalez campaign's progressive platform.
Position papers and draft resolutions will be forwarded to all registered participants in advance of the conference. Draft papers along the lines of this call to discuss at the conference are welcome.
A coordinating body will be voted on at the Conference.
If anything was proven in the Mayoral runoff election. it was that the local Democratic Party political machine is an integral part of the Democratic Party of Al Gore, Bill Clinton. Lieberman et al who mobilized vast resources to support neo-liberal candidate Gavin Newsom and tried to destroy the emerging new progressive movement behind the candidacy of Matt Gonzalez.
If you agree with:
* If you agree with breaking with the bi-partisan political regime of both the Democratic Patty\'s and Republican Party's leaderships and creating a new progressive left and independent political movement.
* If you agree to campaign to register voters as Greens. P&FP or decline to stag and to set up an ongoing organization unifying Greens. socialists, working class activists and people of color outside the two-party structures.
* If you agree that while working on issues with Democrats (war and peace. some social issues, propositions. etc.) is worthwhile, the movement should not waste its energies trying to reform one of the two parties of the ruling elite and thus should not work, support or encourage candidates running as Democrats
* If you agree with raising a local platform including municipal power: noncitizens voting rights; progressive taxation; opposition to war. occupation and the Patriot Act; economic development of working class neighborhoods: reparations for Bayview Hunters Point; tenant's rights and rent control; worker\'s rights; accessible housing for working families, people of color and immigrants: IRV, and neighborhood control through elected neighborhood councils.
* If you agree with choosing progressive left candidates democratically rather than by top-down appointment or self-appointment and having those candidates be accountable to the movement rather than vice versa...
...Then you are encouraged and welcomed to help organize and participate in this critical conference.
Organizing Committee Meetings Every Saturday at 6 PM
If your\'e interested in participating, please call (415) 452-9992 , Or e-mail to: alternative @sbcglobal-net
Initial list of endorsers: Frontlines newspaper; Immigrant Rights Movement (MDI); trade union activists in ATU, SEW and other unions; Mission District Greens; Left Party; Immigrant Labor Organizing Committee; SFBayview newspaper; Arabs Building Community; All Islanders Gathering As One (AIGA-1); Maurice Campbell, chairperson Bayview Hunters Point Community First Coalition; SF Green Party; Conscious Sound Collective, SF; Seiji Carpenter, pollster and others.
Please, fill in the form below to be included in our list of endorsers.
FILL OUT AND MAIL / FAX / E-MAIL YOUR REGISTRATION FORM TODAY! V
SPACE IS LIMITED SO WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND REGISTERING NOW, WELL IN ADVANCE OF THE CONFERENCE. 0 Yes, 1 would like to be involved in the organizing of the Conference
Please, find enclosed check/money order for $10 for registration (fees cover space rental, food and materials for the conference. No one will be turned away for lack of funds)
Please, find enclosed a donation of $- to help with the registration of people who cannot afford the registration fee.
City: ZIP CODE: (Your e-mail will be included in the Discussion list-server for the confe ence)
For more information and/or send your registration: Make checks / money orders to: FRONTLINES
Telephone: (415) 452-9992 OR (510) 289-8375 (provisional account) and send to:
FAX: (415) 337-5113 3311 Mission St., Suite 25,
E-Mail: email@example.com San Francisco, CA 94110