Indybay About Contact Newsletter Calendar Publish Community

Santa Cruz Indymedia | Police State and Prisons

Fine... and how's YOUR morning going?
by RazerRay
Thursday Feb 7th, 2013 11:52 AM
This morning as I pulled up to Starbucks for the morning coffee there were THREE SCPD milling around outside (one brass) sucking cups of coffee.
ticked_marked.jpg
ticked_marked.jpg

As I began to chain my bike to the meter out front I hear "Hey! Hey! Hey!" which I ignored until I saw some blue pantlegs next to me.

I looked around and up at him still crouched to lock my bike as the officer said:

"You can't park that bike here. You have to take it to the rack across the street"

I responded: IS that a law? I've lived here 40 years and never heard of it.

He replied... in a rather snide manner:

"You learn something new everyday."

I stood, turned around and faced him:

"You mean they MAKE NEW LAWS EVERYDAY."

His response (with a shrug): "So are you going to move it?"

Me (with a sneer in my voice): "Are you going to say "PLEASE"?

He said the magic word in an ALMOST polite way, so I acceded to his request. This time.

15 minutes later there was a Starbucks employee's bike locked to that same meter and two to the tree nearby.

When they make laws that are utterly unenforceable, except in the most random and selective ways, not only don't they have a valid law, it behooves one to be an outlaw, make a mockery of those rules, by any means necessary, with any weapon at hand..

You might note this article @ the New York Times:

Why Police Officers Lie Under Oath

My opinion... Because if they didn't the "company" would simply find someone who will. $60-$100,000 a year buys a lot of "Situational" with those 'ethics'
by RazerRay
Wednesday Feb 6th, 2013 6:35 PM
sharks_running_aquariums2.jpg
sharks_running_aquariums2...

While I was shoehorning a link to this into the perfunctory 140 Twitter chr$ I ran into this in a #SC11 hashtag search:

Razer Ray ‏@AuntieImperial
Judge wont dismiss #75River #SC11 bank squat case but says he may sanction DA's office 4 'ongoing issues with evidence' http://t.co/N9mOtTXE (The Senile)

So it took from August 21 LAST YEAR until now for them to just... dropit?

Jeez. Just like they're spending all that tax money on disenfranchising and criminalizing their homeless, which the studies cities use to plan policy for that group of citizens say costs a lot of money and it doesn't work...

Now the court system cost a lot of money and doesn't work either.

(snigger)

Do the taxpayers know?
by John E. Colby
Wednesday Feb 6th, 2013 8:11 PM
Two weeks ago in Judge Salazar's courtroom I saw an 18 year old girl who was cited for having possession of alcohol while a minor get hit with something like a $300 fine.

I thought prohibition was history.

The entire court session was one huge fine after another. Fines anywhere from $300 to $2000. Conveniently the courts have payment plans. Where does this money go? What does the Santa Cruz Superior Court do with it? To whom is the Santa Cruz Superior Court financially accountable to?
by John E. Colby
Thursday Feb 7th, 2013 10:55 PM
I agree with those who argue that alcohol is a more dangerous drug than marijuana. I also agree that the War on Drugs is a public policy failure while a success (depending on your POV) in criminalizing marginalized communities.

Thus I believe that alcohol, like any other drug which has social benefits while also having deleterious effects if abused (especially by those inclined to violence), should be regulated strictly.

However, I do not believe that alcohol or marijuana should be criminalized. It's ridiculous to make a minor face prison time for possessing alcohol. Completely ridiculous.

I thought this needed to be said because a Topix troll is accusing me of being a hypocrite for suggesting that alcohol be more strictly regulated while I also wrote that it's dumb (and a racket) to prosecute an eighteen year old girl for possessing alcohol.
by me
Sunday Feb 10th, 2013 12:45 PM
Friend of mine says police told her she couldn't sit on her bike downtown. When she asked why they hit her and pulled her off her bike. She fell on the officer and then 3 or so more officers came and beat her up and arrested her for resisting arrest. We should ban bikes maybe? Her court is on the 28th.
by John E. Colby
Friday Feb 22nd, 2013 9:49 PM
Read about this outrageous example of cops lying. This probably happens more often than people realize and usually goes unpunished.

by Robert Norse
Thursday Mar 7th, 2013 12:05 PM
Jess Grabowski was going to trial on February 28th, the Butler-Baker super-memorial postponed it to either this week or next. Jess is the woman mentioned on the bike in a previous comment. Does anyone have the court date, place, and time?