SF Bay Area Indymedia indymedia
About Contact Subscribe Calendar Publish Print Donate

Palestine | International | Anti-War | Police State and Prisons

Gaza under attack: 2 killed, 3 injured in renewed air strike on Gaza
by Matt Collins
Tuesday Jun 19th, 2012 3:15 AM
Two Palestinians were killed and three injured in a fresh Israeli drone attack for the second time on Monday, a medical official said.
93196382-gaza-under.jpg
93196382-gaza-under.jpg

Two Palestinians were killed and three injured in a fresh Israeli drone attack for the second time on Monday, a medical official said.

The remains of those killed were taken to hospital, but they could not be identified by medics, an official at Kamal Edwan hospital told AFP news.

An Israeli military official said it had targeted a terrorist squad attempting to fire a rocket from the northern Gaza Strip. It confirmed a direct hit.

Israeli army claimed that the strike came just a few hours after Palestinian resistance fighters fired four shells at Israeli forces near Israel's southern border with Gaza. There were no reports of injury or damage.

Earlier on Monday, two Islamic Jihad fighters were killed when Israeli military forces shelled the northern Gaza Strip, medics said.

The Al-Quds Brigades, the armed wing of the Islamic Jihad, issued a press release identifying the slain fighters as Mohammad Rafeeq Shbat, 24, and Ismail Mohammad Abu Odah, 21.

According to the Israeli army spokesperson's office, the two were involved in a number of shooting attacks near the security fence that runs along with Israel's southern border with Gaza.

Meanwhile, Israel's army moved military tanks towards the country's border with Egypt on Monday and an Israeli man was killed in a cross-border attack, Israeli media reported.

Israeli news site Ynet said the unusual move to deploy tanks on the border was in breach of the Camp David peace treaty between the countries, which requires the area to remain demilitarized.

The tanks were later withdrawn from the area, and the Israeli army said the move was in response to the attack earlier Monday, and it has no plans to leave tanks on the border, Israeli daily Haaretz said.

Israel and Egypt had agreed in recent months that Cairo could deploy 20 tanks near the border to ward off Bedouin attacks, despite the demilitarization clause of the Camp David accord, Ynet reported.

It is worth mentioning that the Camp David Accord was signed by the former Egyptian President Anwar Al-Sadat and the former Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin on September 17, 1978, under the patronage of former U.S. President Jimmy Carter.