$32.00 donated in past month
NOBLE requesting public take survey on performance of BART police
The National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE), who are supposedly conducting an "independent" top to bottom investigation of BART police, held two public meetings in June and now have created an online survey to gather public opinion. They are probably trying to get a wider viewpoint than that of the police accountability activists who would attend public meetings like the ones in June. Maybe NOBLE needs some help justifying the continued existence of BART police and are hoping for some people to respond about the skeeriness of BART parking lots (note that parking lot questions are largely targeted toward suburban passengers). It's not clear why the survey includes questions about race, especially when the long-time history of BART police includes racial profiling, that is serving different kinds of justice depending on the zip code and the color of the patrons being served -- all three people they've killed were African Americans in Oakland and Hayward. It's not surprising that NOBLE have chosen to do an online survey as it allows them to carefully craft the shape of the feedback they get, just as they attempted to do at the previous public meetings.
BART Police Survey -- Assessment of Police Behavior
The National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE) is
conducting an independent study of the BART Police Department as
commissioned by BART. This study is a review of both the operation and
administration of the BART Police Department.
The scope of the study includes obtaining input from the Bay Area
community. The results will be analyzed and included in the final report
to BART. Your input and feedback on the quality and scope of police
services are important to and necessary for continued improvement of BART
The survey should take between 5 and 10 minutes. Click on this link to
access the survey: http://www.research.bart.gov/se.ashx?s=6011868E79B669FF
NOBLE thanks you for your time and thoughtful input.
BART Police Survey--Some questions about you
Please take a couple minutes to complete this short but important survey about the BART Police Department. Thank you.
1. Do you live in the San Francisco Bay Area?
2. Have you ridden BART within the last three years?
3. How frequently do you currently ride BART?
6 – 7 days a week
5 days a week
3 – 4 days a week
1 – 2 days a week
1 – 3 days a month
Less than once a month but at least once a year
Less than once/year or never
4. Overall, how satisfied are you with BART police services?
5. How would you rate the relationship between the BART Police Department and the community?
6. Please explain your rating
7. Have you or anyone in your household had contact with any BART police officer for any reason in the last year?
8. If yes, what was the nature of the contact? (check one of more)
To report a crime
To obtain information
Assisted by an officer
Involved in an incident
Witness to a crime
Victim of a crime
Questioned by police
Received a citation/ticket (e.g. parking ticket)?
9. In your opinion, what should be the policing priorities of the BART Police Department? (Please rank with 1 being top priority, 2 second highest priority, etc.)
Patrolling streets near BART stations
Patrolling BART stations
Patrolling on BART trains
Patrolling BART parking lots
10. Please indicate how much you agree or disagree with the following statements:
Agree strongly Agree somewhat Neutral Disagree somewhat Disagree strongly Don’t know
BART police treat members of the community fairly
BART police are courteous
BART police handle themselves professionally
BART police are actively on the lookout for crime
11. In the past year, has BART police presence on the trains increased, decreased or stayed the same?
Stayed the same
12. In the past year, has BART police presence at BART stations increased, decreased or stayed the same?
Stayed the same
13. In the past year, do you think crime near the BART station where you live has increased, decreased or stayed the same?
Stayed the same
14. Do you believe there is a crime problem on a BART train, station, or parking lot that has not been addressed by BART police?
14a. If yes, where and what crime?
15. How satisfied are you with the response time of BART police officers to a crime in progress?
16. How satisfied are you with the BART Police Department's efforts to reduce crime?
17. How safe or unsafe would you feel riding a BART train after dark?
18. How safe or unsafe would you feel in a BART station after dark?
19. How safe or unsafe would you feel in a BART parking lot after dark?
20. How much confidence do you have in the ability of the BART Police Department to prevent crime?
Great deal of confidence
No confidence at all
21. How would you rate the overall performance of the BART Police Department?
22. What is your current marital status?
A member of an unmarried couple
Never been married
23. What is your age?
65 or older
Please answer both questions 24a and 24b
24a. Are you Spanish, Hispanic or Latino?
24b. What is your race or ethnic identification? (check one or more)
Black or African American
Asian or Pacific Islander
American Indian or Alaskan Native
Other - please specify:
25. What is the highest level of school you have completed?
Less than high school
26. Please indicate your gender.
27. What county do you live in?
Thank you for completing the survey. Please click the "submit survey" button below.