$158.00 donated in past month
BTL:Hampshire College Students Win Divestment of Companies Profiting From Israeli Occupation
BETWEEN THE LINES Syndicated Radio Newsmagazine --Weekly Summary
Hampshire College Students Win Divestment of Companies Profiting From the Israeli Occupation
Interview with Brian Van Slyke, coordinator of Students for Justice in Palestine, conducted by Melinda Tuhus
On Feb. 7, Hampshire College in Amherst, Mass., became the first college in the U.S. to have its board of trustees vote to divest from holdings in companies that support the Israeli occupation of Palestine. The vote was the result of a two-year campaign by Students for Justice in Palestine. It should be noted that when the board acted, the board president and the college president issued a "clarification" that the divestment decision was made "without reference to any country or political movement."
Among the companies students recommended for divestment, due to their financial interest in the Israeli occupation of Palestinian land were: Caterpillar, General Electric, ITT, Motorola, Terex and United Technologies. In response, Allen Dershowitz, a prominent supporter of Israeli policy has threatened to initiate an international campaign to divest from Hampshire College.
Between The Lines' Melinda Tuhus spoke with Brian Van Slyke, a junior at Hampshire and a coordinator of Students for Justice in Palestine. He is also the elected student member of the board of trustees, with voting power. Van Slyke describes the successful campaign, which resulted in the college divesting of approximately 20 percent of its $30 million portfolio. And he provides a possible explanation for the college officials' denials of targeting the Israeli occupation.
For more information, visit Students for Justice in Palestine's website at http://www.hsjp.org.
* "Israeli Elections a Windfall for the Hard Right," Interview with Phyllis Bennis, conducted by Scott Harris, Between The Lines week ending Feb. 27, 2009
* "Combatants for Peace and the Billboard from Bethlehem" at iwagepeace.org
* Combatants for Peace at http://www.combatantsforpeace.org
* Listen to Scott Harris' half-hour Counterpoint live interview with director Bruce Barrett
* "Israeli Elections and the Rise of the Right" by Phyllis Bennis, Foreign Policy in Focus, Feb. 12, 2009
* "Worldwide Protests Condemn Israel's Gaza Attack and Occupation," Excerpt of speech by Adam Shapiro, co-founder of the International Solidarity Movement, at a Jan. 9 New Haven, Conn. protest rally, produced by Melinda Tuhus
* "Israel's November Violation of Gaza Cease-Fire Sets Stage for Current Conflict,"Interview with Ali Abunimah, conducted by Scott Harris, Between The Lines, Week Ending Jan. 16, 2009
* "CNN Confirms Israel Broke Cease-Fire First in November,"Rick Sanchez, CNN, Jan. 5, 2009
* Electronic Intifada at http://www.electronicintifada.net
* "Hardline Jewish Settler Violence Against IDF Has Alienated Many Israelis," Interview with Hagit Ofran, conducted by Melinda Tuhus, Between The Lines Week Ending Dec. 19, 2008
* U.S. Chapter of Peacenow.org at peacenow.org
* Other Voice -- A group for a civil solution in the Sderot-Gaza region at http://www.othervoice.org
The interview may be found at: