About Contact Subscribe Calendar Publish Print Donate

Santa Cruz Indymedia | En Español | Indymedia

Pagina para Watsonville
by Corpy
Sunday Feb 3rd, 2008 9:50 AM
¿Por que no tenemos una pagina en Indybay para representar la comunidad de Watsonville?
I enjoy reading the news on this website as a refreshing alternative to the news in the local newspaper (which I read as well.) Living and working in Watsonville, we have a very weak and one-sided newspaper. People that I work with have become increasingly frustrated about the lack of fair coverage about the struggles that workers have been having with the Pajaro Valley Unified School District, as one example. The Register Pajaronian has hired local executives from the Granite Rock corporation to "represent" the voice of the district in this town.

Watsonville es una ciudad con población igual de Santa Cruz. ¡Hay muchas personas aqui que quieren participar en hacer las noticias! ¿Por favor, pueden empezar una pagina especialmente para los miembros de nuestra comunidad?

¡Graciás!

by Emerald
Sunday Feb 3rd, 2008 5:55 PM
I don't know how to do this but I am willing to translate articles into Spanish or into English from Spanish if needed!

by Rico
Sunday Feb 3rd, 2008 7:29 PM
I'd like to see a lot more connections with people in the South County. I'd like to read more news about what is happening down there, and like what is happening up here to have a lot more relevance to people living down there.

Beyond just north or south county, I'd like to have a lot more mutual support between English and Spanish-speaking communities in our area.
by corpy
Sunday Feb 3rd, 2008 8:30 PM
I think watsonville deserves an "region" on the menu on the left hand side. articles can be written in either english or spanish (preferably both!) and posted to this region!
by RC
Monday Feb 4th, 2008 9:16 PM
Hey Corpy, You raise a good point, but IMHO, you the resident of Watsonville, should go out and find some news going on, and then post a story here! I'm definitely interested in reading more news and persoective from the South County/ Watsonville region. Indymedia isn't so much a news organization, like the Sentinel or Good Times, who have beat reporters for a specific locale, but more of an online forum for everyday people, just like you and me, to find stories and post them...
by militant sista
Friday Feb 8th, 2008 12:57 PM
This is great that there is support for news in Watsonville...working and organizing in Watsonville myself, I believe for now...write the stories and use indymedia.

There should be a lot more support for what is happening in South County.

I also rec you visit and work with the Watsonville Brown Berets and Migrawatch.

by colibrí
Tuesday Feb 12th, 2008 8:25 PM
Oppression promoted (directly or indirectly) by all sectors of society, including the "left" at IndyBay, and beyond, may be the cause of this dilemma. For instance, the Media Left is too busy with their selected items/battles, and thus their range and scope minimizes our struggles for the most part. We need to ask for it, demand it, go get it, "by any means necessary."
by fresh
Saturday Feb 16th, 2008 6:06 PM
Definitely definitely would be a great idea to have a Watsonville pagina, though i don't think the Pajaronian is as bad as you say. Their editorial pages are pretty diverse in their opinions and frequently have quite contentious debates between the forces at work in the pajaro valley unified school district debates. Lots of schools down here are under threat of being taken over by the state because of No Child Left Behind and the fact that speaking Spanish is not considered an academic skill. The teachers union had a highly charged election, electing a somewhat radical guy to be the new president. Other possible stories here about the continued spreading and spraying of the strawberry fields, workers, residents, and ecosystem here with toxic chemicals and the spread of the Dole Corporation down here, a company with a very sordid international background. Also, there is a Santa Cruz based organization whose name I forget that has helped preserve all kind of open and green space in the county and is currently attempting to preserve the "agricultural" atmosphere of the Pajaro Valley, including the aforementioned toxic strawberry fields. Lots of stuff going on and I also would love to hear more.......