$6.00 donated in past month
From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay FeatureRelated Categories: East Bay | North Bay / Marin | Environment & Forest Defense | Health, Housing, and Public Services
Point Molate Beach Park Opens After 10 Years of Closure
After 10 long years of closure, Point Molate, one of the Bay's best beaches, is once again open to the public, just in time for the season. Private citizens, environmental organizations and public agencies working together toward a common goal made this monumental victory - a reclaiming of a huge expanse of ocean front open space. To celebrate there will be a big public party which will include food, activities for all ages, environmental activities and live music.
After 10 long years of closure, Point Molate, one of the Bay's best beaches, will be celebrating its official Grand Opening just in time for the season. This festival of successful cooperation – private citizens, environmental organizations and public agencies working together toward a common goal – is open to the public, and will include food, activities for all ages, and live music.
Parking, access and family activities are all free. The official ribbon cutting by Richmond's Mayor McLaughlin is at 11:30, and the music starts at 12:30. Activities will include egg coloring, docent led talks and nature walks, and what is sure to be an epic tug of war battle between the Richmond Police and Richmond Fire Departments. There will also be exhibits of all kinds, and an “Idea Tent,” where citizens can assist in planning the future of this latest in Richmond's efforts to promote parks for the people.
Point Molate is located North of I-580 and the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge, on Stenmark/Western Drive (map: goo.gl/maps/kKnBL). The Stenmark/Western Dr. exit 7A (Pt Molate) can be accessed on West-bound I-580. It is last exit before the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge. Free parking is available at the park, and there will also be a free shuttle from Richmond City Hall (450 Civic Center Plaza, Richmond, CA 94804) running on the half hour from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM, with the last shuttle returning to City Hall at 2 PM.
Point Molate is an accessible, wheelchair- and stroller-friendly park.
Point Molate Beach Park Grand Opening
April 19, 10 AM to 2 PM
* Fun Activities for the Whole Family
* Live Music - Latin Jazz and R&B (12:30 - 1:30)
* Naturalists Leading Hikes
* Unique Egg Coloring Station - Treasures to Bring Home
* Tug of War - Watch the Police Department Battle the Fire Department!
* Exclusive Tours of the Winehaven Historic District (1:30 PM - The Only Chance to Tour This Historic Area!)
* Children's Art Activities
* Oral History Table - Share Your Stories of Point Molate
* Volley Ball Pick-Up Games
* Exhibits and Demonstrations
* Bird Watching - Spotting Scopes and Assistance from Audubon and Golden Gate Raptor Conservancy
* Idea Tent - Have Your Opinions on Pt. Molate Park Programming and Planning Heard
* Nature Walks about Local Butterflies and Oysters, Seals, the Watershed and Native Habitat - Osprey Walk at 10:30 AM
* Docent Talks
* And Much More
Background video about Point Molate can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9LrHhDZO3k