Representation for the People, a coalition of East Bay activists, is sponsoring this town hall meeting. The coalition opposes the policies and actions of Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O'Malley and Sheriff Greg Ahern. These elected officials continue to run unopposed yet espouse policies and views that progressives find unacceptable. The coalition is therefore organizing to explore ways of getting rid of our sheriff and district attorney.
There will be speakers at this event and the public is invited to provide input. Please mark your calendar and bring a friend. The senior center is located near the Ashby Bart station.
Just a few things a new District Attorney could do:
- Investigations into wage theft, abuses by creditors, foreclosure fraud and environmental crimes.
- Voice support for improved crime labs, removal of police from schools
- Refusal of prosecution for drug possession or use.
- Voice opposition to curfews, arrests of school children, solitary confinement of children.
- Independent investigations of police misconduct.
- Keeping costs down by not keeping low level offenders in jail awaiting prosecution decisions
Just a few things a new Sheriff could do:
- No cooperation on ICE raids and no use of ICE holds.
- Abandon the pursuit of the acquisition of drones.
- Refusal to participate in homeowner evictions.
- Keeping costs down by using 'cite and release' to keep low-level offenders out of jail
- An independent, unbiased Coroner's Office.
Added to the calendar on Friday Oct 25th, 2013 9:19 AM