About Contact Subscribe Calendar Publish Print Donate

Photos Challenge Claims Made By Arcata Mayor About Encampment
by anon
Thursday Apr 26th, 2007 8:46 AM
photos and claims
200742522404.jpg
200742522404.jpg

“This was a difficult situation and I’m glad it was handled the way it was,” she (Mayor Harmony Groves) said.

§#2
by anon Thursday Apr 26th, 2007 8:46 AM
sit-in.jpg
sit-in.jpg

“In my opinion, we proceeded in the most compassionate way possible."
§#3
by anon Thursday Apr 26th, 2007 8:46 AM
640_p1000474.jpg
640_p1000474.jpg

"But it was also a camp that went on for four nights, and basically, they had violated the Municipal Code."
§#4
by anon Thursday Apr 26th, 2007 8:46 AM
campbust385.jpg
campbust385.jpg

"I do respect their need to get this message into the community, but we also have to enforce the laws of the city of Arcata.”

by anon
Thursday Apr 26th, 2007 8:48 AM
Quotes are from todays edition of the Eureka Reporter as well as the first picture. The rest are posted on Indybay.
by unprovoked police hostility towards homeless
Thursday Apr 26th, 2007 11:10 AM
People without housing are frequently discriminated against by APD. As an individual with a mental/emotional disability and traveler with backpack, i find the police treatment of myself and others without housing unusually unfair and hostile..

For this and other reasons i've avoided Arcata except for a few days where i sleep out in the community forest at night to prevent police harrassment. However, during inclement weather this can become physically exhausting and people with physical disability cannot do this daily..

Though i love Arcata and the unique people, my current status as a houseless transient will remain safer in other regions. This may appear cowardly to some, though sometimes finding a less stressfull existance is needed. Being arrested, handcuffed, roughed up by police and dragged into jail and court does not qualify as less stressfull..

This should not be so, we have the right to sleep undisturbed at night. APD needs to cease and desist with their harrassment of the houseless. This i promise, when i feel better i will return to Arcata and return to a traveler lifestyle..

When i have some money available, i frequently support the local downtown ecofriendly businesses for food, books, candles and other needed supplies. This harrassment of houseless travelers by APD is in fact keeping potential customers away also..
by greenteastudent
Thursday Apr 26th, 2007 11:12 AM
cmon harmony, you're in tune with the people's project!! why didn't you come witness what you allowed to happen!? too ashamed to see people's belongings ripped away and taken away, people attacked and torn apart? look at what you are doing! these people deserve the right to sleep at night and not be hassled! no one comes into your bedroom and says "hey! public nuisance! get the fuck up and get out of here or you'll be arrested!" why should these folks, who have the same beating heart, the same need to sleep as you, be harassed day and night!
by zero
Monday May 14th, 2007 2:01 PM
I had a lot to say , But what's the point , over and over again we go and the only way it stops is when "WE" all make it stop . What do I mean? How many times does a person have to get arrested , They kinda of want that it pays there bills , you know what I mean . It's sad that there is people with out homes a place to close the world away, keep your things safe keep warm and dry. You know that no body wants to be "Homeless" , I speak from much experinces, big citys are the worst I have knowing cops to kill homless wille they sleep set them on fire think about that, I can't think of a wost way to die can you? . How about cops just throwing homeless in jail what's that do? -O- thats right pays there bills .

So what do I mean? What do you the people want? I don't know it all seems pointless