$32.00 donated in past month
2 week strike called at 4 SF hotels
Hotel workers have called a two-week strike at 4 San Francisco Hotels.
Members of Local 2 commenced a two week strike this morning at four San Francisco hotels. These hotels include:
* The Argent Hotel
* The Hilton San Francisco
* The Crowne Plaza Union Square
* The Mark Hopkins Inter-Continental
Workers will return to work on Wednesday, October 13th at 12:01a.m. A press conference with union leaders is scheduled for this afternoon.
Guests should click here to find alternative accomodations.
San Francisco hotel workers have been working without a union contract since August 14. Although 15 bargaining sessions have been held, little progress has been made in the areas of:
* Continued comprehensive health care for hotel workers and their families;
* Fully funded pensions;
* Fair wage increases;
* Stopping unscrupulous subcontractors from their abusive treatment of night porters;
* Ending excessive workloads which began after September 11 when the hotel industry responded to a drop in tourism by laying off huge numbers of staff but failed to re-hire workers since tourism rebounded;
* Ensuring union security by protecting the rights of workers in newly developed or acquired hotels to be represented by a union; and
* The ability to bargain again in 2006.
The contract negotiations affect 8,000 union members at more than 60 hotels and motels amounting to 85% of the industry in San Francisco. UNITE HERE! Local 2 represents cooks, room cleaners, bartenders, bellmen, food and beverage servers, bussers, housemen, PBX operators and dishwashers.
Join the picket line!
Come join us on the picket line for an hour or two (or more). This is a frontline battle for the entire working class, especially low-income workers and people of color.
If you can't join the picket line, call the four hotels and give them hell.